Wrigley Field endures as one of the most historic, popular and gorgeous ballparks in America.
The Friendly Confines

About Wrigley Field


The Friendly Confines

The Cubs played their first home game at Wrigley Field on April 20, 1916, defeating the Cincinnati Reds with a score of 7–6 in 11 innings. Chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. of the Wrigley Company acquired complete control of the Cubs in 1921. It was named Cubs Park from 1920 to 1926, before being renamed Wrigley Field in 1927.

  • Ivy walls
  • Chicago dogs
  • Bleacher bums
  • Historic red marquee, which was orginally blue when installed around 1934

Through the Years



Weeghman Park opened on April 23, 1914 as the home of the Federal League's Chi-Feds. Millionare Charles Weeghman made his fortune by starting local lunch counters, a predecessor to fast food. As one of the Chi-Feds board members, he bought a 99-year lease on the intersection of Sheffield and Waveland. The team constructed the ballpark in two months; after two years, the Federal League folded and the National League's Chicago Cubs moved into what would then be known as Wrigley Field.



Wrigley Field is known for its ivy-covered brick outfield wall, the unusual wind patterns off Lake Michigan, the hand-turned scoreboard, its location in a primarily residential neighborhood with no parking lots and views from the rooftops behind the outfield, and the iconic red marquee over the main entrance. But in 1964, the marquee was painted blue. Wrigley was the last Major League park to have lights installed for play after dark, in 1988. Between 1921 and 1970, it was the home of the Chicago Bears of the NFL.



The "1060 Project – Phase One" started Monday, September 29, 2014. During the off-season, the bleachers in both outfields were expanded and the stadium's footprint was extended further onto both Waveland and Sheffield Avenues. A 3,990 sq ft Jumbotron scoreboard was added to the left field bleachers. It is topped with a sign advertising Wintrust Financial. A 2,400 sq ft video scoreboard was also added in the right field bleachers, and the parking lots along Clark Street were excavated for future underground players' locker rooms and lounges.